Sunday Style: The Prom That Never Was

Maybe it's the fact that I am teaching every day now but I have become nostalgic and find myself reminiscing about my younger years when I was in school. Fifth and sixth graders don't go to proms but you would be surprised at the talk that I hear..."we are dating, he cheated on me"...I told one girl that she needs to enjoy her time being a kid and don't worry about dating. She will have plenty of time to get out there and date- but not when you are eleven!

Anyways, I digress. I didn't go to a prom because I went to Christian school. There was no prom but we did have a Junior-Senior Banquet each year. I remember fondly my Junior year and my double date. I wore a beautiful navy dress off the rack from TJ Maxx - I vividly remember how much I loved this dress. It was a regular dress, nothing fancy, and I remember wearing it to church as well. I've always been a bigger girl and I remember how this dress came in at the waist and made me feel good.

My Senior year was a different story. My graduating class was small- only one guy- and he and I went together to the banquet. That year we dressed up more. I wore the teal tea-length dress that I wore in my sister's wedding. That's right- I said teal tea-length and boy, was it gorgeous! Not to mention the white pantyhose with the black patent shoes. The dress was satin and the kicker was the tiers in the back and the bow. Again, I remember feeling good about myself and the dress that I wore.

I'm glad I had these experiences. I was talking to a friend of mine recently about not going to a prom and she proceeded to tell me all about hers. I'm not going to lie. I was a little jealous but at the same time, I'm glad I didn't have all of the pressures that go along with going to prom. I'm already admittedly nervous about when/if my son decides that he will attend one. I'm already thinking about what I would and would not want him to do. 

But back to me...A common theme was that I still remember these nights and how I felt. I still remember having so much fun and the dress I wore. I remember the way I felt when wearing these dresses so it's important to pick something that you love and that makes you feel good! 

Fast forward a few (ahem) years and I get to dress up again! This dress from Azazie is no exception when it comes to feeling beautiful! I was able to customize this dress with my measurements so it fits me. I chose a beautiful navy color in the Julianne style and I love the beautiful beading and lace. This dress is perfect for bridesmaids, proms, dances, and dates. It's a beautiful modest dress that can be worn over and over again for different occasions.

If I were going to prom, I might pay someone to put my hair in an updo. I might wear more jewelry or carry a different clutch or wear different shoes. I thought about all of those things as I was getting ready to put on this dress. If I could rewind and tell my future self some things it would be this: The best accessory that you can wear is a smile. Focus on the things that make you happy. This life is short and it's the only one that we've got. Make the most of it. Don't worry about what other people think about you. You are beautiful just the way you are. 

Here are some pictures of this beautiful dress from Azazie: 















And because I can't let you all go without seeing some flashback pictures: 


This is the only picture I could find of the navy dress I wore in my Junior year-



And this beauty is the teal dress- front and back! 



As you or your children or friends or whoever go through this season, make sure to check out Azazie  and the options that they have to offer! Many gorgeous dresses with amazing colors and styles! 

Dress: Azazie (online recent)
Shoes: Marshalls (old)
Clutch: Express (old) 


Thanks for reading and following along with me! 

Sandae 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Tuesday: Sugar’s Inn Galveston

Less Bitter, More Glitter

Chic Soul May New Arrivals